Wednesday, March 24, 2004

So far, this has no happened to me at the Graduate level (mostly because I have avoided any classes that contain "feminism" or "gender" in their titles or course descriptions)

However, today, for some reason, I was recalling one of the most annoying features of the many undergraduate English classes I took.

This happened in at least a dozen classes, most of them key major requirements - not electives, but classes I had to take to get my BA.

Anyway - some feminist issue would come up, and the teacher would say something like "That's interesting. Well, for the next half-hour men are not allowed to make any comments at all."

What followed was never a discussion of the issue at hand, but something more resembling primal scream therapy mixed with group therapy. For a half-hour the more strident and radical feminists in the class would insult, berate and attack men. It was all very fungible - there was no idea or acknowledgement that men might be okay. Nope, men were evil and by their very existence oppressed women.

After a half hour of that, most guys didn't want to say anything at all. It was like those movies where the cops tie a guy to a chair and yell at him for hours on end. How do you respond to that? I never did, but only because I figured nothing I could say would add to the non-existent conversation.

Luckily, as I said, this has never happened (to me) on the graduate level. Still, I'm sure this practice of shutting down of diverse alternative voices is fairly common, if undocumented.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?