Friday, March 05, 2004

WARNING: possible offensive language present. Not mine, but from my professor. I'll give some extra space for those who wish to avoid gutter language.
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*

Okay - one of my professors, apparently unaware that any of her students might be a Bush supporting conservative, called Bush a "son of a bitch" and a "bastard" (I guess only his mother knows for sure) and ranted briefly about the "non-election" of 2000.

I considered responding, but I though better of it, since the texts we were "discussing" that day were all about how awful/evil mainstream society is and that our job as teachers is to liberate our students from the racist/sexist/classist views society has given them.

From what I am learning this semester (especially see my February 27. 2004 posting below) - there isn't even lip service to the idea of intellectual inquiry and allowing students to make their own informed decisions. According to these theorists (Victor Vitanza, Diane Davis, Susan Crowley, Susan Miller and several others who fit in the same very general but left-wing camp) the last thing we want is students thinking for themselves, since society has already given them these awful racist/etc. views. A professors job is to forcibly mold them into something else - a left-wing rebel.

Ivory Tower is the wrong metaphor. College Professors live in another reality entirely.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?