Monday, December 08, 2003

Anyway - I promised to talk about how the views of many of my fellow grad students and my instructors has pushed met to support Bush more than usual.

Where - I have to say that I do like Bush. I think he does a good job. I don't agree with everything though. I wish he would try to reign in government spending rather than increase it, and I didn't care for the No Child Left Behind act, but that is mostly because I am originally from Alaska, where that act is unimplementable as it currently stands.

Anyway - I don't support everything Bush has done, and I have a few harsh words for some of his actions. BUT ---

The fact that my fellow grad students and my instructors constantly make comparisons between Bush as Hitler, loudly wish he would die, and refuse to see anything he can do in a positive light - this attitude pushes me even further in my support of Bush. Instead of being a slightly disaffected supporter who would critique some of his policies, I find myself reacting to my fellows extremism and becoming a fairly staunch supporter.

I think this is why the Democrats will lose in 2004 unless they change their tune. Anger is very off-putting to those not solidly in your camp. They will alienate the swing voters, and even the conservative voters who might have been persuaded to vote for a Democrat who appealed to the political center.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?