Thursday, November 27, 2003

Happy Thanksgiving!

Or, as one of my fellow grad students called it "Colonial oppression day."


I had a nice dinner with my wife and kids. I promise no indigenous peoples were oppressed by our meal.


I often wonder why English majors have to attack holidays for things most normal people never even think of when celebrating them. It reminds me of the few Wiccans I know who claim the Catholic church stole Halloween (aka Samhain) from them.

I am in no mood to make an argument over this point. I am going to go spend time with my family, but I just felt the holiday needed to be noted.

And I know there will be grumbling about Bush's "thinly veiled campaign ad" (referring to his Thanksgiving dinner with the Troops in Baghdad) on campus come Monday.

Or it could just be that our President decided to sacrifice much of his holiday so he could show the troops just how much he admired them. An amazing gesture by a very underrated president.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?