Saturday, November 20, 2004

One of the wonderful perks I get from being a grad student occurs when I get to overhear conversations in the grad student ghetto.

The ghetto is the basement room where 60 or so grad students share 15 or so cubicles - even when teaching several classes, we don't get offices - we get cubicles we share with 3 -4 other grad students.

So - the nature of the ghetto is such that you hear pretty much every conversation that goes on in the room,

One conversation that took place a few days ago:

"Yeah - committed Christians just can't appreciate Milton. They are too wrapped up in their preconceptions of the Bible to be able to read it."

"Absolutely. To truly enjoy literature, people need to stop reading the Bible."

(It went on like this for awhile - mostly just restatement of the above two lines for about 15 minutes).

It must feel good to feel so superior to the ignorant, Bible-believing losers who go to church and actually believe Christ died for their sins and God created the Heavens and the Earth.

Yep, superior to such losers as -- I dunno - MILTON HIMSELF?

Apparently, Milton can't even appreciate his own work.

(And as a Christian myself, I find the idea reprehensible. I believe the Bible and I enjoy/appreciate/etc. Milton).

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?